Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Walking

When I play golf, I always try to walk, unless forced to take a cart. I feel it is good exercise, plus, my game is always better when I walk. I am able to go over strategy, think about my next shot, and most importantly, carry ALL my clubs to the ball. This is especially important, since, if you get dropped off at your ball by your partner in the cart and only have a few clubs with you, you're limited to those options. Likewise around the greens; it prevents you having to carry a wide variety of wedges, putter, etc. from the cart and there is little chance of leaving a club behind.

I have a Sun Mountain 3.5L stand bag, which is great. It is very lightweight and has plenty of room for my clubs and accessories. It even has a convenient pouch for carrying a bottle of water. The only thing I don't like about this bag is the double straps. Because I don't have wide shoulders, it is too wide for me and after awhile, it begins to hurt my shoulders. I am going to have to look and see if I can replace the straps with something more suitable. If not, I may need to purchase the newest version of 3.5L, which has a better shoulder strap system.

Speaking of walking, my wife and I are trying to get into a walking regiment a few nights per week. I really believe this will help me get in better shape for walking when I play golf, and that can only benefit my game. Right now, we have been walking around Lincoln High School in Mayfair. It's about 3 miles around and takes us about 45 minutes, which is ideal.