Thursday, May 26, 2011

Welcome Back Mr. Wilson

Mad Golfer Driving Range
114 Street Road
Southampton, Pa
215/357-1622

A few years ago I moved from TaylorMade irons to Wilson Staffs, playing the Di7 irons. While I liked the club heads, I didn't like the Fat Shaft that Wilson used and I eventually moved back to TaylorMade. Well, I have decided to go back to Wilson Staffs once again, this time the Ci7s, which have a more traditional True Temper steel shaft. I already have the Wilson Staff Smooth Driver in my bag.

I took the irons for their first workout Wednesday night at the Mad Golfer Driving Range on Street Road in Southampton, Pa. It was my first time at the facility, which features a two-tiered hitting structure. I purchased a large bucket of approximately 70 balls for $9 dollars. I picked out a spot on the upper level and began my practice with Mr. Wilson.


 After hitting stretching, I hit approximately 10 sand wedges to warm up, then worked the gap wedge, 9-, 7-, 5- and 4-irons, hitting approximately balls with each. I hit the majority of my shots straight of with a slight fade and had a nice high trajectory. I occasionally mixed in a draw. I finished with hitting six 6 balls each with my driver and a new Tommy Armour 845 3-hybrid. I was quite pleased with how the clubs performed and I look forward to taking them to the course for their first field action.


The Mad Golfer also features a short game practice facility; a pro shop; private practice areas; and heated, covered hitting stalls. A small bucket (approximately 35 balls is $7, and a jumbo (105 balls) is $11. Golf lessons are also available.