Tuesday, May 10, 2011

The Swing is the Thing

Driving Range
Bensalem Township Country Club
200 Brown Ave.
Bensalem, Pa
215/639-5556

As part of my plan to prepare for my first scheduled round of the 2011 golf season, I ventured to the the driving range at Bensalem Township Country Club to hit the first balls of the year. Because of the ideal weather--warm with a gentle breeze--the range had its share of golfers tonight. I purchased a large bucket of approximately 80 balls for $7 and manged to stake out a spot in the center of the range.


After some stretching with my Speed Stik, I hit 10 lob wedges, beginning with some chips and slowly increasing to full swings. I then worked my way up through my bag, hitting 10 balls each with my gap wedge, 9-iron, 7-iron, 5-iron, hybrid and 4-wood. I hit them all off the ground since there was no tee. I managed to secure one from the hitting bay next to me and hit 12 drivers to finish off my hour-long practice.


Overall, I was pleased with how I hit the ball for the first time since last October. I mainly focused on getting my body acclimated to swinging a golf club once again and making solid contact, which I seemed to do about 70 percent of the time. I will be interested to see how my body feels tomorrow.