Wednesday, April 22, 2009

One the Range: A Flash of Inspiration...and Lightning Too

Fishers Glen Driving Range
4717 Fishers Lane
Philadelphia, Pa
215/533-9466

After hitting the ball so poorly on Sunday, I was determined to visit the practice range this week. Although the skies were cloudy and it had rained off-and-on, I believed there would be a brief window this evening that would allow me to hit a small bucket of balls. So I made my way to Fishers Glen for the first time this season.
As I expected, the placed was deserted. Undeterred, I picked my usual spot on the lower level--undercover in case it started to rain again--and began my practice. I took my Momentus Power Hitter with me for the first time this season and used to warm up, then attempted to hit some balls with it. And just like Sunday, I hit balls off the heel, and when I didn't do that, worm burners. After about a dozen balls I pulled out my Wilson Staff Spine Driver and hit it just as poorly. It was raining steady at this point and rumbles could be heard. I picked up my pace, hoping in the words of Carl Spackler, "I don't think the heavy stuff's gonna come down for quite a while."
I switched to my new Wilson Staff Fybrid to get a feel for it when I made a startling discovery. I was swinging around my body. My swing has always been more effective when I swing more straight up-and-down. I started hitting the ball more solidly and straighter. Flashes of lightning were now illuminating the sky, so I quickly switched back to my Driver and hit about 8 balls with a more up-and-down swing. Suddenly, I was hitting it solidly , but with a slight fade. As the thunder boomed overhead and rain pelting down now, I decided discretion was the better part of valor and abandoned my spot on the range, leaving a half bucket of balls. As I quickly ran to my car with my bag slung over my shoulder, hail began to come down as well. Maybe I didn't get in as much practice as I wanted, but hopefully I uncovered a key flaw in my early season swing which I can now go about correcting.
Photos by The Muni Golfer

No comments: