Sunday, June 15, 2008

Trading Up to New Irons

Yesterday I took 21 old clubs that I no longer used, or used very sparingly, to the Golf Galaxy in Mount Laurel, N.J., and traded them in for a new set of irons. The clubs I traded in were a set of TaylorMade RAC OS2 irons (3-AW), a TaylorMade R510 driver, a TaylorMade R5 Dual 3 wood, a TaylorMade R540XD 5 wood, two TaylorMade RAC chrome wedges, an Adams a2 hybrid, a Nickent 3DX ironwood hybrid, an Orlimar Trimetal Plus hybrid, a Cleveland 691 sand wedge, a Wilson Dyna-powered sand wedge, a Ping Zing sand wedge, and a Precept Tour Premium driver.

I have had very good experiences doing trades with Golf Galaxy to upgrade my clubs. In fact, the RAC OS2s that I traded in yesterday were acquired during a previous trade-in at Golf Galaxy. And, they made the process of trading in your clubs even easier. You can go to their Web site and click on the Global Golf Price Book Web site, which allows you find out the value of the clubs you want to trade in. The Global Golf Price Book quotes you the purchase value of the clubs, not just the marketplace value.

After Golf Galaxy agreed on the price stated by the Global Golf Price Book, I had a decision to make on what to get. I was going back and forth between a set of TaylorMade's r7 irons or Tour Burner irons. The sales associate at Golf Galaxy allowed me to hit both into a net and on the golf simulator. Both irons felt really solid, but I settled on the r7 irons, getting a set of 4-iron through gap wedge. According to TM's Web site, the r7 irons are "Engineered for a wide range players who prefer an iron that's easier to launch high and straight while also offering excellent workability. Inverted Cone Technology provides higher COR and increased average ball speed for greater distance. Exceptionally deep cavity design creates a low and deep CG, making it easier to launch the ball higher for the optimum combination of carry and control." The specs are almost identical to the irons I've been playing, and I like the fact that the irons have a medium sole width and moderate offset. I have put them in my bag and relegated the TaylorMade 200 irons into a backup set. I look forward to trying the new irons out tomorrow on the course.

Also yesterday, my wife and I went to the Oxford Valley Mall, where we shopped for our mutual birthday presents. I settled on adding to my golf wardrobe with four new golf shirts from the PGA Tour collection, which I picked out at J C Penney. I also bought myself three additional PGA Tour shirts at Boscov's and two from the Champions Tour line they sell at Macy's.

Shirts Photo by The Muni Golfer