Friday, June 27, 2008

A New Low at Center Square

Center Square Golf Course
Center Square, Pa
Yards: 2939/3061 - 6000
Par: 35/36 - 71
Rating: 67.9, Slope: 119
Score: 46/44 = 90
Date: June 26, 2008

Center Square Golf Course in Eastern Montgomery County offered a unique opportunity to test my game on a layout that has hosted a major golf championship. In 1980 and 1997, the U.S. Women's Amateur Publinks Championship was held at this Ed Ault-designed course, and it is not hard to imagine why. Center Square features generous Rye/Blue Grass fairways and medium-sized Bent/POA greens. The greens are fast, offer subtle breaks and are guarded by nearly 60 bunkers. Except for the occasional blind tee shot, all the trouble at Center Square is right in front of you. It is in terrific shape for a public course and the greens fee are very reasonable; $29 to walk Monday through Thursday, $37 on Friday and $39 after 1 p.m. on the weekends. Carts are $15.

The 10th Hole at Center Square, a 378-yard Par 4

Although overcast, drizzling and extremely humid and muggy when we teed off at #1, the day turned out to be pretty nice as the sun finally popped through on the back nine. Coming off my lackluster performance at Rock Manor, I was hoping for a little bit more from my game at Center Square. And did I get it! I played well from the tee, generally finding the fairway. When I didn't, my course management kept me from posting a big number. My ball striking was the best it has been this year; I hit several greens in regulation. The new TaylorMade r7 irons are allowing me to get the ball in the air with great distance, whether from the tee, fairway or rough. My short game allowed me to get up-and-down when I needed it. The only down side again was my putting. I still three-putted too many greens. I did manage to make four pars, including two of the three Par 5s. It all added up to a 90, my lowest score ever on a course of Par 70 or higher! In fact, I missed a putt of about seven feet on the 18th hole which would have given me an 89!

Center Square Scorecard

Following the round, my golfing buddy Ken and I enjoyed delicious sandwiches and beverages, while catching a few innings of the Phillies game in Center Square's Champs Sports Bar.

A view of the clubhouse, Champs Sports Bar and the 18th green from the 13th tee

A few additional views of Center Square Golf Course:

The 3rd Hole, a 160-yard Par 3

The 5th green is protected by a large bunker

The 8th Hole is a 388-yard dogleg left

The 9th Hole from the tee box

The 187-yard Par 14th Hole.
The power lines do not come into play.

The tee marker for the 16th Hole, a short Par 4

The downhill 15th fairway from the 16th tee box

The 18th Hole, a 133-yard Par 3 over water

The view of the back nine from the 18th tee

Photos by The Muni Golfer

No comments: