Monday, June 16, 2008

The Iron Test at Juniata

Juniata Golf Club
Philadelphia, Pa
Yards: 2735/2070 - 4805
Par: 34/32 - 66
Rating: 63.2, Slope: 106
Score: 47/44 = 91
Date: June 16, 2008

I took my new TaylorMade r7 irons for a test round today at Juniata Golf Club. I was delighted that they were everything I expected. I did perhaps my best ballstriking with my irons this year. I was especially pleased with how they cut through the rough and got the golf ball airborne. They had great distance and were very accurate; I hit the ball just about where I aimed. I did hit a few shanks, but I think that has more to do with adjusting to ball position with these irons.

As for my round today, I started out on the back nine because of a morning outing that was finishing up on the front side. At the Par 4, 360-yard 11th Hole I hit a good drive and had about 95 yards to the elevated green. The first test of my new irons. I hit the gap wedge that went high into the air and landed about 10 feet right of the hole. Judging from my ball mark on the green -- always remember to repair your ball marks on the green -- the ball hit and hopped about six inches before stopping. I missed the birdie putt, however. If I could have made any putts today I could have easily shot in the low 80s. I played steady golf through the first seven holes on the back side before my concentration and my legs began to wane. I went 7-5-7-7-6 on holes 17 through 3, but I somehow caught a second wind and parred four of my last six holes -- the 4th, 5th, 7th and 9th. Here's how I made those four pars:

4th Hole, Par 4, 380 yards -- I hit a 4 Wood off the tee and had a Gap Wedge from the left portion of the fairway. I went right under the ball and left it short of the green, but hit a soft chip to a foot. Tapped in for par.
The 4th Hole at Juniata Golf Club

5th Hole, Par 4, 360 yards -- I hit driver and my tee shot made it over the ridge in the fairway, leaving 135 yards to the green. I hit a 7 iron to the right fringe and two-putted for par.

7th Hole, Par 4, 275 yards -- My 4 Wood off the tee was a huge draw that found the left rough, just clearing the tree line. I hit a Pitching Wedge to 15 feet behind the hole and two-putted for par.

9th Hole, Par 4, 380 yards -- I hit my best drive of the day, crushing my driver up the right side of this uphill hole, landing just in the rough about 98 yards from the center of the green. I choked down on a Pitching Wedge and hit it to the left side of the green, some 25 feet below the hole. Two-putted for par.

While my swing and game seem to be rounding into shape, I think I need to start walking a few nights a week to build up some leg strength and stamina because this was the second time my legs have felt sluggish during the round. And without strong legs, your swing suffers tremendously.
Photo by The Muni Golfer