Tuesday, June 24, 2008

A Rock Solid Course -- Rock Manor

Rock Manor Golf Course
Wilmington, Del
Yards: 2831/3149 - 5980
Par: 36/36 - 71
Rating: TBD, Slope: TBD
Score: 51/47 = 98
Date: June 24, 2008

Today I took my clubs and game down I-95 to Wilmington, Delaware to try the newly renovated Rock Manor Golf Course. A municipal course owned by the City of Wilmington, "The Rock" as it is affectionately known has recently re-opened after two years of re-design and re-working under the direction of golf architect Lester George. For a municipal golf course, George and the City of Wilmington have done a magnificent job of lengthening and transforming "The Rock" into a first rate course. Four sets of tees make this course playable for golfers of just about any skill level. The fairways are generous and in fantastic condition, while the greens are smooth and extremely quick. A beautiful, circa 1921 building is being refurbished and will serve as the Course's clubhouse in the very near future. Because the renovation and redesign of the course is so new, the rating and slope have yet to be determined by the Delaware State Golf Association. The course is being managed by Billy Casper Golf, which is also managing three of Philadelphia's public courses.

The future clubhouse at Rock Manor

Today also marked my annual golf outing with Robert Levis, the Chair of Temple University's Chemistry Department, and his father. Also joining us for today's round was George Baran, Associate Dean of Temple's College of Engineering.

Rock Manor Scorecard

We started our round on the back nine, which opens which a 528-yard Par 5 that doglegs right. I started off well, making a 6 on the Par 5, and played steady golf, making two pars: at the short 305-yard Par 4 14th and the 172-yard Par 3 16th. A gusty wind made club selection tricky all day and speed of the greens made it very tough to get approach shots, pitches and chips close to the hole.

The view from the first tee, a 90-degree dogleg right.

The front nine, our second, started off very well as I made my first birdie of the year at the 345-yard Par 4 1st Hole. I hit a three wood off the tee to the left side of the fairway, which doglegs right at a 90-degree angle. I was left with 135 yards downhill to a green which slopes from right to left. I hit a 9 iron to 20 feet left of the pin, which was in the back right portion of the green, then sank the uphill putt for birdie! I made bogey on the next two holes, a Par 5 and Par 3, respectively. The Par 3 3rd Hole is very challenging, requiring a tee shot from an elevated tee over wetlands to an elevated green that is protected by two large bunkers that swallow short tee shots. From the 3rd Hole on, my game started to desert me and limped home with an 8-5-6-7-7-5 over the last six holes. Putting was my nemesis through most of the round at Rock Manor. I missed more putts from 5 feet or less than I care to think about. But I capped off my day by sinking a 35-foot putt that broke hard to the right off a hump in the green.

The green at #1. I-95 traffic is speeding by just behind those trees and bushes.

A round at "The Rock" is worth the 45 minute drive down I-95. It is a welcomed addition back into the public golf arena of the Delaware Valley. A few additional views of "The Rock":

The 3rd Hole. A 157-yard Par 3 over wetlands.

The downhill Par 3 5th Hole plays over a small creek.

The Par 4 17th Hole.

The course known as "The Rock."
Photos by The Muni Golfer