Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Seeking Confidence with the Flatstick

One of the biggest problems with my golf game recently has been my inability to make putts, especially short putts. Last Sunday, I missed two three-footers: one for par and one for a birdie. This inability to convert short putts has been added a lot of strokes, and frustration, to my scoring. Tonight I headed over to Juniata Golf Club work on my putting stroke. I switched back to my Odyssey White Hot XG9 putter, which I re-gripped with a Winn Jumbo Pistol putter grip. I concentrated a great deal of my time hitting three- and four-foot putts just to see the ball go in the hole and start to gain back some confidence in my putting.
One new training aid I used tonight was The Big Putt, which, according to their Web site, is "35% larger than a regulation golf ball, but has precisely the same feel as a tournament quality ball. Mis-hits are magnified and provide immediate feedback, and the larger ball promotes a smooth stroke and requires the golfer to accelerate through impact." In addition, according the instructional video on the Web site, the hole will look much larger when you switch back to hitting a regulation golf ball. The pack I purchased came with three practice balls and a carrying pouch. It felt good using it and when I switched back to my normal, the stroke did feel a bit better, so I'll keep experimenting with The Big Putt.

No comments: