Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Range Ready

Fishers Glen Driving Range
4717 Fishers Lane
Philadelphia, Pa
215/533-9466

Tonight I had my longest, and best, practice session at the driving range so far this season. I was anxious to work on my swing with the stronger grip, as I discovered on the golf course last Sunday. In tonight's practice, I wanted to continue hitting my draw, but I also wanted it to be meaning instead of just pounding ball after ball.
I bought a medium bucket of approximately 70 balls and set up at my usual spot on the end of of the lower level at Fishers Glen. To my surprise, there was actually one guy balls on the lower level this evening. As I was preparing to begin, he quit and approached to offer me the remainder of his bucket, which was about 30 golf balls. I accepted his generous offer.
After stretching and taking several swings with my Speed Stik to warm up, I began by hitting 10 balls with my 56-degree sand wedge. Also used my alignment sticks, which I bought last weekend at Lowe's, to help me set up with a closed stance to better hit a draw. I proceeded to work my way up through my bag, hitting 10 balls every other club through the 5-iron. I then hit my 4-iron, hybrid and the two drivers I brought with me (I skipped my 4-wood tonight).

I hit the following clubs:
10 - 56-degree sand wedges
10 - attack wedges
10 - 9-irons
10 - 7-irons
10 - 5-irons
10 - 4-irons
10 - 4-irons off a tee
10 - hybrids
10 - TaylorMade 360XD Drivers
10 - TaylorMade Burner 07 Drivers
_______________
100 Total balls hit

I made sure that I had a strong right hand grip each time I stepped up to hit a shot. This helped me produce a straight shot or draw on about 95 percent of the shots I hit tonight. I also took my time, stepping off the map, stretching or checking my takeaway between each shot. In total, I hit 100 balls in approximately an hour-and-a-half. My swing felt the best it has so far and the shape of my shots was one of which I am more familiar and more confident.
As you can see, I tested two TaylorMade Drivers tonight: a 44-inch R360XD and a 45-inch Burner 07. I didn't hit the R360XD that bad, but I hit the Burner longer and straighter. I think the Burner will remain in my bag for right now.
Photos by The Muni Golfer