Sunday, May 17, 2009

The Season Opener: A Round at Byrne G.C.

John F. Byrne Golf Club
Philadelphia, Pa
Yards: 2273/2610 - 4883
Par: 33/34 - 67
Rating: 63.9, Slope: 105
Score: 45/48 = 93
Date: May 17, 2009

Feeling good with my swing following last Wednesday practice session at Fishers Glen Driving Range, I decided to really test the state of game with the first official round of the season at John F. Byrne Golf Club in Northeast Philadelphia. Byrne was designed by Alex Findley and formerly known as Holmesburg Country Club until it was bought by the City of Philadelphia in the 1960s. It is now managed for the City of Philadelphia by Billy Casper Golf. The course sits in a valley, with the Torresdale creek wandering through that comes into play on no less than eight holes. Many holes also feature severe elevation changes, rolling terrain and some tight fairways. With all of the rain we have endured this spring, the rough was as thick in many spots as you might experience at a U.S. Open. I payed $27 to walk 18 holes, and was able to use my Golf Philly Rewards Card.

The 4th Hole requires a precise tee shot

My round got off to an ominous start when I pushed my opening tee shot dead right and couldn't find the ball. After a drop in the rough and a poor third shot, I chipped my way to the fairway, then the green, before three-putting for an 8. Not the way I was hoping to start the season. But I came back with a good bogey at the 2nd Hole and made par at the 3rd, a short Par 4. The gray skies, very windy conditions and temperatures in the low 50s made it feel more like March than May, and shot selection was sometimes difficult; hit it too high and watch the wind knock your ball down or take it way left or right. The wind caused my tee shot to go left into the creek fronting the green at the downhill 6th Hole, and then I skulled the ball over the green on my third shot, but got up and down for a double bogey. I then made back-to-back pars at the 7th and 8th Holes, a Par 4 and Par 3 respectively. A chunked chip and then a three-putt led to a disappointing double-bogey at the uphill Par 4 9th Hole, and a score of 45 on the front nine. I was hitting the ball well in these tough conditions and my short game frequently saved me. I took that confidence to the 10th tee for the back nine.

John F. Byrne Scorecard

The first shot of the back nine was a bit better than the front nine, and I found myself with an approach shot from 101 yards in the middle of the fairway. Of course, I hit my second shot thin and over the green, then could do little as my flop shot rolled all the way to the front of green. I again three-putted for a 6, then took another 6 at the 11th, an uphill Par 3, when my 8-iron got knocked down by the wind short of the green. Despite the back-to-back 6's, I still was feeling pretty good as I stepped onto the tee at the 12th, a 516-yard Par 5. My Driver found the thick rough on the left side, just two paces off the fairway. I gouged a low running 6-iron down the fairway, where I was left with a 189-yard third shot. I then hit a wonderful 4-iron to 20 feet left of the hole and two-putted for another par. I again three-putted at the very short Par 3 13th Hole, then made back-to-back double-bogey 5's at the Par 3 14th and 15th Holes. My tee shot at the 16th, a 465-yard Par 5, went right but caught a three and would up in the middle of the fairway. I opted to give it a go for the green with my 3-wood, but topped it and was left with a 6-iron for my third shot. Unfortunately, I came over the top on the shot and hooked it waaaay left into the creek and took another double-bogey, this time a 7. The 17th Hole at Byrne always gives me fits. It's a 371-yard Par 4, with the creek running down the right side and narrowing the fairway as it angles in from the right. The tee shots calls for a fade, but my shot is a draw. Today, I hit it over the trees on the left into the 16th fairway. With about 170 yards to the green, I launched a 6-iron over the trees into the rough fronting the green. My chip wound up in the bunker on the left, but a popped it out and caught a slope in the green and my ball trickled to about a foot, which I tapped in for a 5. I closed with a 5 on the uphill, 338-yard Par 4 18th Hole, for a 48 on the back nine and a round of 93.

The 9th Green

I was really pleased with how I played today. Although I did hit a sporadic fade, my normal draw was very much in evidence. I was disappointed in my overall performance on the Par 3s; I need to hit more greens. My short game was good, but could still use some work. One area that needs improvement is my putting. I think instead of hitting the Driving Range this week, I will go to Juniata Golf Club and work on my putting. Overall, today was a solid round that will give me confidence to build on as the season moves forward.
Photos by The Muni Golfer

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good round despite the opening hole. I played Byrne on Saturday and shot an 85....drove the green on #7 but missed the eagle putt. Other than that, it was an up and down kind of day for me also.

The Muni Golfer said...

Thanks for reading my blog. #7 is a tough green to putt. I made a 20-foot, right-to-left putt from the back fringe for par on that hole Sunday. 85 is a good score. I should have done better on the Par 3s.

Keith said...

I always enjoy the blog...been reading since last year. Oops, sorry I was anonymous in the previous post. I actually play at Juniata every Sunday in the association. Just joined this year.

Unknown said...

Hey there:

Stumbled upon your blog looking for info on John F Byrne. I am actually using google earth to map several local courses and input the info to a website called TeeDroid, which is also GPS Golf app available for iPhones, BlackBerries, and Android phones (T-Mobile G1). You should check it out if you have any of the above.

I was wondering if you could give some more input on the conditions at Byrne, as I am have never been there and don't want to drive there to be disappointed. I have read conflicting reviews.

Thanks, and I will definitely be tuning in for future Muni Golfer posts.

The Muni Golfer said...

Hi Sean, thanks for checking out my blog. The conditions at Byrne were about what you would expect at a city course, not bad but not great. I would put it at very playable. The rough was very thick, but that was probably because of all the rain and the inability to mow it. Most tee boxes were ok, some were chewed up. The greens were good, but you could still see some traces of being aerated. Whatever the conditions, you will find some enough challenging holes to make interesting. Hope this helps.