Sunday, May 10, 2009

It's All in the Grip

Juniata Golf Club
Philadelphia, Pa
Yards: 2735/2070 - 4680
Par: 34/31 - 65
Rating: 63.2, Slope: 106
Score: Practice Round
Date: May 10, 2009

Sunday afternoon found me at Juniata Golf Club for my final tune up of the spring. Buoyed by my practice at the driving range last Wednesday, I expected this to be a good round. And it started that way with par at the 1st Hole. But a topped tee shot at the 2nd Hole quickly brought doubt back into my already fragile golf psyche. I plodded through the first six holes playing with the dreaded--and ever puzzling--fade. At the 7th Hole I decided that for the rest of the round I was going to rid my mind of all swing thoughts and try to do just one thing--hit a draw. And then it happened! Like the thunderbolt out of the sky or that light bulb suddenly going off inside your head. The problem was in my grip! Yes, my grip. I have always had a strong right handed grip on the club, which produced a right-to-left ball flight or draw. But it seems I had begun rotating my right hand to a neutral grip which was causing me to cut across the ball, producing a left-to-right ball flight of fade. Suddenly, with the stronger grip, I was turning my body better, striking the ball better, and hitting my reliable old draw. What a great feeling it was! And that confident feeling began to quickly invade other aspects of my game. My chips and pitches were better. Tee shots were better. I could feel my game returning. I still played a few erratic shots and holes, but on the whole, I left the course with the best feeling I've had so far this season. I can't wait to get to the driving range this week and bolster that confidence.