Sunday, September 7, 2008

Unfinished Business at Baywood Greens

Baywood Greens
Long Neck, Del.
Yards: 3132/2956 - 6088
Par: 36/36 - 72
Rating: 69.0, Slope: 125
Score: Round Incomplete Due to Darkness
Date: August 29, 2008

My annual Labor Day weekend outing with my cousins was held again this year on the Friday before the holiday at Baywood Greens, a spectacular course located a few miles west of Rehoboth Beach, Delaware. Unlike last year, we booked a tee time to get the course's twilight rate of $45, but a 4:10 p.m. tee time this time of year makes it almost impossible to complete 18 holes. We were lucky to not have anyone in front of us slowing up our play until the back nine, but we still played holes 16 and 17 in just about complete darkness, and the ranger forced my cousins to pick up their tee shots on the 18th. It was just as well as I had one of those rounds in which I could do very little right. I three-putted the first green, then hit two balls in the water to the right of the second fairway. Two 9s, an 8, a 7 and a 6 through the first seven holes just about sums up how I played. I did manage to hit my tee shot to about four feet at the 131-yard, Par 3 8th Hole, but naturally I missed the birdie putt on the recently aerated green. The par there did settle me down a bit and I played much more consistent golf on the back nine, making three pars...at least until nightfall came around the 15th Hole.

Baywood Greens Scorecard

Baywood Greens is a truly beautiful course. Billing itself as "the Augusta of the Northeast," the course was in great condition, except for the aerated greens. Upon arrival, your bags are placed upon a cart and after playing for your greens fees, you are instructed to go to the practice range where you can hit unlimited balls until you are called to go to the first tee. There is also a putting green and a chipping green with bunker. The landscaping around the course is breathtaking. Nine new holes are currently under construction just to the west along Route 24. If you are ever taking a golf trip to Ocean City, Maryland from the Northeast, I would highly recommend making a round at Baywood part of your itinerary.