Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Moving Outside My Usual Range

Burholme Golf Center
401 Cottman Avenue
Philadelphia, Pa
215/742-2380

Once again this week I ventured to the driving range to hit a small bucket of golf balls. This time, I found myself at the Burholme Golf Center because Fishers Glen had run out of available golf balls. It seems their golf ball picker was broken and they couldn't pick up the balls off the range. Burholme is a nice facility, with numerous hitting bays -- including about a dozen under cover; a miniature golf course; batting cages and a pro shop. There is a real family atmosphere at Burholme and it is quite popular, particularly the driving range and batting cages. Because of this popularity, the range balls at Burholme tend to be a bit more worn, but they do keep the facilties in pretty good shape. A small bucket of balls is $5 and you often have to wait for a hitting bay to open up. Because of the overcast skies, it wasn't as crowded as I have come to expect and I had a choice of several locations.

After stretching and warming up with my Speed Stik, I hit five wedges, then proceeded to alternate five balls a piece between my Power Hitter and my TaylorMade Burner Drive. After two sets of each, I finished with seven 3 woods off the mat. I think I need to plan and organize my sessions at the range a little better, but at least I'm rounding my body and swing in shape as I start playing more rounds. This is already the third time I've been to the practice range this season, which is about two more times than I went all last season.