Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Becoming a Range Rover

Fishers Glen Driving Range
4717 Fishers Lane
Philadelphia, Pa
215/533-9466

Tonight I made what is becoming my weekly pilgrimage to the driving range, where I hit my usual small bucket of balls. My usual stall on the far right side of the lower level was available, so I staked out my spot and went to work.
Tonight I used a piece of pvc pipe to aid with my alignment (see picture below). I worked mostly on developing some rhythm and tempo in my swing. Hitting 10 balls a piece with my short irons and wedges, I worked from my 53-degree Solus wedge, to my gap wedge, to my pitching wedge to my 9-iron. My sole swing thought was swinging to a tempo of 1...2...3...4, 1...2...3...4, 1...2...3...4. I finished off by hitting eight shots with an Adams Redline RPM 4-wood that I put in the bag; four balls off the tee and four balls off the mat. I was striping the balls with the 4-wood, so I think I might have to keep it in the bag for a bit.
As I described in my earlier posts, Fishers Glen won't remind you of a posh country club any time soon. In fact, the only thing missing was Roy "Tin Cup" McAvoy and his trusty caddie, Romeo. But it is a great place to quietly work on your swing. A small bucket (approximately 50 balls) is $5, a medium bucket (approximately 70 balls) is $7, and a large bucket (approximately 110 balls) is $10. Fishers Glen is a true Muni Golfers paradise.

Photos by The Muni Golfer