Sunday, August 19, 2007

When It Rains, It Scores: A Round at Juniata

Juniata Golf Course
Philadelphia, Pa
Yards: 4805, Par: 66
Score: 48/40 = 88
Date: August 19, 2007

I played a round at Juniata Golf Course today in a steady, sometimes driving rain, and posted my best score of the season. It was drizzling when I started on Hole #1, and I was surprised at the number of people who were on the course playing. By the 4th Hole I pulled out a rain shirt I had tucked into my bag before I left home and was putting up my TaylorMade Staff umbrella, which I had fetched out of the trunk of my car in the parking lot.

I played a fair front nine, with pars at Holes #2 and 6. It seemed like the more it rained, the steadier my game became. Of course, when conditions are like this, you can be more aggressive with ships and putts. When I reached the clubhouse at the turn--in 48 strokes, not bad for these conditions--a few people thought I was done for the day. But one fellow who I've golfed with when I belonged to the Juniata Golf Association paid me the ultimate compliment when he told them, "Preston is a mudder, he'll be going back out." And go back out I did.

On the back nine--which I had all to myself--the rain stayed constant and it became harder to keep the grips of my clubs and my golf glove dry. I started to take the back nine as a quest and I found myself really focused and not trying to overhit the ball. I made pars at Holes #13, 17 and 18 to come home in 40, easily my best 9 Holes of the year.

Most golfers don't like playing in the rain, but I kind of like it. If you go to play in Scotland or Ireland, rain is almost assured to be of your round. As long as you have the right gear and right attitude, I find it easy to play in bad weather. Besides, this was my last chance to get in a round before heading off to Delaware in two weeks. I did make one change to my bag today. I replaced the Nickent hybrid with a old Golfsmith XPC3 Rough Rider 5 Wood. I was pleased with the way it performed and it will remain in the bag in Delaware, although I will be taking the Nickent hybrid with me.

4 comments:

Dogface said...

That's awesome - congrats on breaking 90, although I guess that wasn't your fist time doing it. Reading your post made me laugh, I kept thinking about the priest in Caddyshack playing the round of his life in the driving rain. Glad you didn't encounter any lightning on the final hole though. :)

The Muni Golfer said...

Thanks Perfect Drive. Hey, welcome back! You know, someone said I looked like the Priest in Caddyshack when I stopped at Clubhouse at the turn. Made me want to say, "Besides, the Good Lord would never interrupt the best round of my life..." I also wanted to turn an lift my arms in air after holing out on 18 and yell, "Rat Farts!!!!!"

Unknown said...

yeezy boost 350
skechers go walk 3
air max thea
michael kors handbags clearance
cheap real jordans
nike huarache
michael kors handbags
kobe bryant shoes
yeezy boost
longchamp le pliage

Unknown said...

washington redskins jerseys
michael kors handbags wholesale
air jordan uk
toms shoes
toms outlet
seattle seahawks jerseys
ugg outlet
canada goose outlet
coach outlet
nhl jerseys