Saturday, June 23, 2007

A Round of Golf at John F. Byrne

John F. Byrne Golf Club
Philadelphia, Pa.
Yards: 4883, Par: 67
Score: 46/49 = 95
Date: June 23, 2007

I played a round today at John F. Byrne Golf Club, a City of Philadelphia-owned golf course in Northeast Philadelphia. It is probably the longest and toughest track I've played so far this year. I play there 1-2 times per season. I am always happy to break 100 there, especially with the two Par 4s at #9 and 18; both play over a creek at about 150 yards off the tee and are severely uphill to greens that are well bunkered and slope back to front. I played in a threesome with Sean and Dennis, who I teamed up with on the first hole. We were joined by a fourth for the last five holes.

Early in the round, I had trouble with my tee shots hanging a bit to the right, but that got a bit better as the round progressed, although it never totally went way. I only used driver on five holes: #s 9, 10, 12, 16 and 18. I used my 3 hybrid off several holes with some good results. I was really happy with the two Par 5s, #12 and 16, which I played in two over par, despite some really bad drives. On #12, I hit my 4 Wood from the fairway for the first time (about 230+ yards out) and came up about 10-15 yards short of the green. My chipping was pretty good today and I putted reasonably well on some of the fastest greens I've played so far.

This was a good warm-up round for my two golf dates this coming week. Tuesday I will be playing at Wyncote Golf Club for the first time. Wyncote is a links-style course, even though it is in southern Chester County. I expect I'll be able to play a lot of run-up shots into the greens there and may be hitting more woods and hybrids off the tee. On Friday, I will be playing Jeffersonville Golf Club, which is a Donald Ross-designed course in West Norriton Township, Montgomery County. Ross designed such notable courses as Pinehurst No.2, Seminole, Inverness, Oak Hill and Oakland Hills. Over $2 million dollars has been spent in recent years to return Jeffersonville to its original Ross layout. I expect it to be a tight course, greens that have trouble if you go over them, and unexpected hazards.

4 comments:

Dogface said...

Just wanted to say 'hi' to a fellow Philly-area golfer/blogger, I found you through the shout-out on GolfBlogger. I only play on Montgomery County courses so far (still have yet to break 100), so it's interesting to read about the city courses you play at. Keep up the great posts, and maybe we'll get together for a round one of these days if I ever stop hitting thin shots. Stop by http://perfectdrive.blogspot.com when you get a chance.

Anonymous said...

Good post.

Anonymous said...

[p]UGG Makes Its Dominance in the World of Fashion Again 2010Whether [url=http://www.uggsaleukoutlet.co.uk]ugg sale uk outlet[/url] you are a self-conscious fashion addict or a down-to-earth individual, you will never shun something fashion items so called the UGG when it comes to winter footwear . Once you are in an [url=http://www.uggsaleukoutlet.co.uk]ugg on sale[/url] open, ventilated environment, spray on your boot protector to clean, dry boots . Thus, make sure the shoes you plan to buy fit your long-awaited aspiration and of course your style . The most appropriate times of my complete life . org [url=http://www.kiduggboot.co.uk]kids ugg boots uk[/url] right today . Fourth, the storage bags can be hung over on the wall, which can not only offer [url=http://www.authenticuggaustraliaboots.co.uk]ugg australia boots uk[/url] enough room for placing boots but can also save room for your house . Unless you live in NYC [url=http://www.uggsaleukoutlet.co.uk]ugg sale[/url] or California, chances are no one will know anyway . In addition to look at this, when you experience your personal outlet, you can consider UGG [url=http://www.kiduggboot.co.uk]discount kids ugg boots[/url] Ultimate Bind Boots 5219 Chocolate to suppose the way your possess brand can mature . If [url=http://www.uggsoldescanada.com]ugg soldes[/url] you are able to really find such boots available for sale or at a discounted price, it really can be very exciting.[/p]

Unknown said...

20170605 leilei3915
polo ralph lauren outlet
pandora jewelry
ray ban sunglasses
ugg boots
christian louboutin shoes
canada goose outlet
canada goose jackets
polo ralph lauren outlet
longchamp outlet store
michael kors outlet stores