Saturday, February 24, 2018

Go Gym Dandy


Eight weeks after last March's cardiac bypass surgery, I began 12 weeks of cardiac rehab at Temple University Health System's Jeanes Hospital. Three times a week I would go and work out for an hour, as I recaptured my strength and stamina. Once I completed the supervised rehab, I was on my own, although they did give me a plan to follow.

While I relied on walking throughout the fall to keep myself in shape, my cardiologist felt that with winter weather approaching, it wouldn't hurt to join a gym. So at the end of December, I joined the Planet Fitness in Trevose, Pa. Since the week of Jan. 8, I have regularly been going to this gym three times a week, where I work out for approximately an hour following a modified version of the routine given to me at cardiac rehab. My workouts are as follows:
  • 30 minutes on the treadmill
  • 15 minutes on the stationary bike
  • 5 minutes on the elliptical machine (occasionally)
  • 3 sets of free weights (5-7.5 lbs)
  • 2-3 laps around the gym to cool down.

These exercises have helped to keep my weight steady, my cholesterol low and my heart strong. There have been nights when I haven't felt up to going to the gym, but it is interesting how something like heart surgery can serve as a motivator! I even plan to try and add some abdominal strengthening in the near future. It is my hope that come the spring, this regular exercise routine will benefit my golf game too.

No comments: