Monday, June 29, 2015

A LOCK at The Fairways

Fairways Golf Club
Warrington, Pa.
Yards: 2255/2248 - 4503
Par: 32/33 - 65
Rating: 62.1, Slope: 104
Score: 48/53 = 101
Date: June 29, 2015

As much as golf is a game of physical, it is an even bigger game of mental. As Bobby Jones once said, "Golf is played mainly on a five-and-a-half inch course...the space between your ears." That five-and-a-half inch course played like the U.S. Open for me today at the The Fairways Golf Club. Ten days after shooting a 86 at the course, I returned to shoot a 101; 15 strokes higher than the previous round. Nothing in my game went particularly well today. I was back to blocking tee shots to the right, hitting iron shots fat, chipping poorly and putting even worse. I three-putted the last four holes on the front nine, twice turning pars into bogeys. And things went even worse on the back nine.

The Fairways Scorecard

Today's round was a LOCK--Lack of Concentration, Knucklehead. It was the first round of the year that I played solo. Not having a playing partner, it seemed like I was always focusing on every bad shot I hit. I since it was always my turn to hit, I never got a chance to focus on anything else. My mind was constantly thinking about what I was doing wrong--or going to do wrong--and never had a moment to re-focus on how to correct things or just play. I think I will just chalk this up to one of those days and try to let it go quickly.