Saturday, August 7, 2010

11 Equals 12 at The Fairways

The Fairways Golf & Country Club
Warrington, Pa
Yards: 2255/2248 - 4503
Par: 32/33 - 65
Rating: 62.1, Slope: 104
Score: 43/51 = 94
Date: August 7, 2010

Today I played my second round in the past month at The Fairways Golf & Country Club. The Fairways, which winds through a housing development in Warrington, Pa., reminds me a lot of Juniata Golf Club in terms of length and Par; both are Par 65, have 11 Par 4s and 7 Par 3s, and neither has a Par 5. Juniata is slightly longer though, 4990 yards to 4503 for The Fairways. But both are fun courses, enjoyable to play and easy to walk.
The Par 3 Third Hole

Back in July, playing my first round in over two months since the big move to a new house, I shot a very respectable at The Fairways. I was better on the front nine, scoring a 40, but I struggled on the back. Today was no different. I had an acceptable 43 on the front nine, but scored a terrible 51 on the back nine. I especially done in by the quirky Eleventh Hole, a Par 4 that doglegs to the right. Because of those houses, a local rules states that you can only hit an iron off the tee, which is a rubber matt. The rules also says you can forgo your tee shot and place the ball out around the dogleg, no further than a telephone pole which runs along the fairway. I, of course, opted to be a true golfer and hit an 8-iron off the matt, which I pulled severely to the left. I wound up with a good lie on the edge of the Eighteenth fairway. From there I--in succession--chunked a 4-iron, hit a pine tree with my hybrid, pushed a 7-iron long and right into a marshy area, took a drop and failed to get a chip onto the green, chili-dipped another chip, chipped long off the front of the green, chipped about six-feet past the hole with my hybrid, missed the putt, lipped out the next putt and finally tapped in for a 12. That basically finished any chance of matching, or bettering, the 89 I had previously shot there.
The Fifth Hole, a 372-yard Par 4

Overall, I didn't play that bad. I parred five of the seven Par 3s, bogeying the other two. I lipped out an eight-foot birdie putt at the 140-yard Fourteenth Hole. And I found greenside bunkers about four times and made good bunker shots on all but one. I also left numerous putts short all day. I think next time I go the Driving Range I need to spend some practice time on the putting green. But still, I take a lot of confidence from this round going forward. I also want to give a "shout-out" to my playing partner, who shot a 126 when we played The Fairways last month, but improved his course management enough to shot a very nice 112 today. Way to go MS!

Some more photos of The Fairways:

Photos by The Muni Golfer

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

[p]I recalled we attended a new type reunion we applied our Jones Sabo Earrings, most of our class mates explained this specific bracelets ended up being quite lovely plus the design and style ended up being quite [url=http://www.linksoflondonringuk.co.uk]links of london bracelets uk[/url] pretty . Some of the shortest [url=http://www.linksoflondonbraceleted.co.uk]links of london sale[/url] lengths for these particular beads start at 1 . Pandora Jewellery together with the most intriguing is the fact that you can combine these ovals Pandora with each other and produce their own unique [url=http://www.llinksoflondon.co.uk]links of london charms wholesale
[/url] charm . Any woman will clarify that [url=http://www.llinksoflondon.co.uk]links of london[/url] it could possibly be cheap Tiffany jewelry eternal mark . Twist off the ball bead [url=http://www.linksoflondonbraceleted.co.uk]links of london jewellery[/url] on the Pandora style earring, and string all the beads (two foil glass Pandora style beads into three Tibetan style Pandora beads) one by one . My reasons for loving this genre of jewellery [url=http://www.llinksoflondon.co.uk]wholesale links of london[/url] are multi-faceted . Find [url=http://www.linksoflondonringuk.co.uk]links of london bracelets[/url] phone numbers . Then measure [url=http://www.linksoflondonringuk.co.uk]links of london ring[/url] the bracelet extender chain to make sure it is long enough . Is there any idea to solve this problem? Yes, of course.[/p]