Sunday, August 23, 2009

Rain Causes Pain at Juniata

Juniata Golf Club
Philadelphia, Pa
Yards: 2805/2185 - 4990
Par: 34/31 - 65
Rating: 63.2, Slope: 106
Score: 52/Front Nine
Date: August 22, 2009

I planned to give Walnut Lane Golf Club a test on Saturday, but overnight and early morning rains had me thinking that the day would be a washout. But the early afternoon, the skies had cleared enough that I convinced myself to go play a quick nine holes at Juniata Golf Club. I should have realized the mistake from the start. When I believe that I won't be able to golf, then try to play, I am unable to get myself back into playing mentally. That was never more evident than the first three holes Saturday. The course was very wet, but I usually play well in wet and rainy conditions. This was not the case at Juniata. Three lost balls and a 6-7-7 start started to a mind-numbing 52. My swing was never in sync and I started out by pulling my first two tee shots left, topping the tee shot at the second, and hitting my tee shot at the third dead right. I started overcompensating and pulling my tee shots hard left. I lost a fourth golf ball at the seventh hole. I never felt mentally in the round., although I somehow managed to make pars at the fifth and ninth holes. I will just chalk it up to one of those days and try to forget about it. I am going to try and play one more nine one evening this week as a final tune-up before packing my clubs for my golf vacation at the Delaware Shore.