Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Practicing with the New 'Big Dog'

Fishers Glen Driving Range
4717 Fishers Lane
Philadelphia, Pa
215/533-9466

I have been wanting to up-grade my Driver, so last night I purchased a new TaylorMade Tour Burner Driver from Dicks Sporting Goods at the Franklin Mills Mall. The Driver was on sale and I had several gift cards from my recent birthday, plus a $20 off coupon, so I picked it up at a steep discount. It has 10.5-degrees loft and a Fujikura Re*Ax 60-gram shaft in regular flex. I already have the TaylorMade Burner 3-wood, so I thought this Driver would complement my bag set-up nicely.
On Friday, I scheduled to play a round with a friend at Mainland Golf Course, just northwest of Lansdale, Pa. From the reviews I've read about the course, a Driver is not necessary on most holes, but I still wanted to get to the Driving Range tonight to get a feel for my new Tour Burner so I can use when needed Friday. I also wanted to hit some 3-woods and utility clubs, since they will probably be the club of choice off the tee at Mainland.
It was unseasonably cool and a bit rainy, but I still headed over to Fishers Glen to hit a small bucket of balls. After warming up with 8 wedge shots, I hit 15 3-woods. They were some of the best tee shots I've hit this year. I then moved to the Driver and worked on figuring out how high I need to tee ball, ball position in my stance and swing tempo. I hit 16 balls with the "big dog," some good, some fair, a few I'd rather forget. But overall, it looks like I'll be able to have it in my bag on Friday.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The bad thing about a new driver is you begin to have too many thoughts in your head when you swing it. Trust your swing. The TaylorMade will do its job.
Fred

Keith said...

I just bought a regular burner driver (last year's model) and really like it. I would imagine the burner tour is even nicer to hit.

The Muni Golfer said...

Actually Fred, the only thing I'm thinking with this new driver is take it back looooow and slooooow, then accelerate through the ball. If I do that, I hit the driver pretty consistently, and so far, I have hit it pretty good.

The Muni Golfer said...

Keith, I played the regular Burner for the past year-and-a-half. It is really a great Driver. I just wanted to upgrade and the Tour Burner is the 2008 model, so I got for a great price. The head is just a touch smaller. I have the Tour Burner 3-Wood, which is awesome, so I figured this would pair well with it.

Anonymous said...

[p]That is why it is among the [url=http://www.authenticuggaustraliaboots.co.uk]ugg australia boots sale[/url] most desired and admired footwear among every age bracket . Keep in mind that funds [url=http://www.uggsaleukoutlet.co.uk]ugg on sale[/url] in hand is attractive for obvious factors to both equally functions, commonly in the form of a low cost towards the purchaser . However, in spite of this, some females [url=http://www.cheapuggbootukonline.co.uk]cheap ugg boots uk[/url] still get overwhelmed while facing the large range of dazzling options . What are exceeded if this amazing improvement and UGG for layout and [url=http://www.uggsoldescanada.com]ugg soldes[/url] relaxed and supply usefulness for people's proper to due Aussie! UGGs On Sale stylish than other shoes . Nike Shox R4 Women shoes have designed [url=http://www.uggssbottespascher.info]ugg pas cher femme[/url] the most innovative and best type of footwear . Even though Bailey Option UGG Boots certainly are a new style this kind of fall from UGG Quarterly report, there are already signs which they could become one of the most popular boots inside the women's UGG Classics assortment . Even fashion conscious individuals are going that additional [url=http://www.cheapuggsbootsukonline.co.uk]cheap ugg boots uk[/url] mile to get a pair of the Ugg bailey button boots . Christian Louboutin shoes trademark [url=http://www.cheapuggsbootsukonline.co.uk]ugg boots uk[/url] glossy red soles give an instant stamp of fashion excellence.[/p]