Saturday, June 20, 2009

Mainland GC, A Golfing Gem in Montco

Mainland Golf Course
Mainland, Pa.
Yards: 2917/2879 - 5796
Par: 35/35 - 70
Rating: 65.3, Slope: 111
Score: 49/41 = 90
Date: June 19, 2009

Friday I had the opportunity to play Mainland Golf Course, I nice little track located just off the Lansdale exit of the Northeast Extension of the Pennsylvania Turnpike. I had seen the course featured earlier this spring on Comcast Sportsnet's Inside Golf, and the husband of my cousin who lives in nearby Harleysville had also given me a good review of the course over Memorial Day weekend. It seems to be one of the many golfing hidden gems in the Delaware Valley.

Mainland GC Scorecard -- Front 9

Let me say straight out, this course does not disappoint. The conditions were exceptional and it is easy to see why: there were workers cutting grass and tending greens and bunkers throughout the course. While the course is fairly open and not overly long--I only hit Driver three times and two were Par 5s--the course does have its challenges. There are strategically placed bunkers at key spots along the fairways and around the greens to catch errant drives or approach shots, short doglegs, holes that play uphill or downhill, and some narrow tee shots. The greens have little undulation, but there are some subtle breaks. The only real problem that we noticed was the amount of ball marks on the greens; people always remember to repair your ball marks. Because of all the rain we've been experiencing, the rough at Mainland was very thick and sand in the bunkers heavy. The greens were also a touch slow, but very receptive to approaches, pitches and chips because of the wetness.

Mainland GC Scorecard -- Back 9

The price at Mainland can't be beat. My golfing partner and I paid $30 to walk at 11:30 a.m. Although there was a foursome in front of us and a trio of ladies playing behind us, the play kept moving. Rangers continuously monitor the course for pace-of-play. And the staff--from the pro shop people to the starter to the rangers to the woman manning the halfway house at the turn--were very friendly and helpful. The course does have a short, irons-only practice range where you hit "floater" golf balls out into a small pond. If you get the chance, definitely play a round at Mainland, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

The "Driving Pond" at Mainland Golf Course

As for my round, I played my best golf of the year. Although I struggled a bit on the front 9: making an 8 at the 511-yard Par 5 2nd, a triple-bogey 6 at the 168-yard Par 3 4th, and another triple-bogey 7 at the short 319-yard Par 4 7th, but I did mange two pars at the 5th and 9th. I hit Driver on the first two holes, but mostly used my 3-Wood and 2-Hybrid on the other Par 4s. My chipping and putting really kept me in the round on the front 9. I never had a second putt of more then two-feet. I also hit my irons as crisp and as solidly as I have this year. The switch to the Wilson Staff Di7s is proving to be a good move, and their were really good coming out of the heavy rough. I went out in a slightly disappointing, but respectable 49.

Water guards the right side of the 9th Hole

The par at the 9th, a 125-yard Par 3 that has a large pond to the right of the green started a really good run for me on the back 9. After just lipping out a 45-foot birdie putt at the 9th, I made bogey at the 10th after my 2-Hybrid found a bunker on the corner of the dogleg. I then made four straight pars at Holes 11 through 14, including a sand save for par at the 509-yard 14th, a Par 5 that doglegs right and over a big, deep swale in front of the green. The 15th Hole features a narrow tee shot to a fairway that slopes from right-to-left. The 16th is a long Par 3 in which the right side of the green is partially hidden. The 17th is a Par 3 that plays from a well-elevated tee to a green that has creek in front and two bunkers and a large tree guarding the right side. The 18th is a short dogleg left to a green that is also protected by the creek, bunkers and trees. I made bogeys at the 15th, 16th and 17th, and a double-bogey at the 18th after a poor, pulled tee shot and then hitting my third shot over the green. I came home in 41, only 6-over for the back 9!

The downhill Par 3 17th Hole

Following your round at Mainland, make sure to stop into Whiskey River Grille, which has a really nice bar, a good assortment of beers and ales, and a delicious menu for lunch, dinner or just munching.

Additional photos of Mainland Golf Course:

The 4th Hole, a Par 3

The green at the short 5th Hole

View of the 7th green from the fairway

The 11th green from the fairway

The 12th Hole doglegs left

The narrow tee shot at the 15th Hole

The partially blind 16th Hole, a long Par 3
Photos by The Muni Golfer

No comments: