Monday, December 29, 2008

A Weighty Issue

I went to the doctor's today for my routine checkup. While my cholesterol numbers were slightly elevated--although not at a level that caused big concern for the doctor--the biggest problem was my weight, which is now over 220 pounds. The additional weight is probably a primary cause of my sleep apnea and the slight elevation in my cholesterol count. These two factors, overweight and sleep apnea, were probably the main reasons why I felt some fatigue towards the end of my rounds late in the summer and through the fall. Starting in the new year, I plan to begin dieting and exercising with my wife in an effort to get down to a healthier weight. Watching my carbs and fats, while walking for 40 minutes four times a week, should help be be more physically fit by the time golf season rolls around in March. While I doubt I will ever cut a figure like Carmillo Villegas or Adam Scott, I don't want to look like Craig Stadler or Tim Herron either. It may also help me in dealing with the sleep apnea. While I doubt I will ever cut a figure like Carmillo Villegas or Adam Scott, I don't want to look like Craig Stadler or Tim Herron either. Hopefully, better fitness will mean better golf scores in 2009.