Sunday, November 2, 2008

Nine Hole Test Drive at Juniata

Juniata Golf Club
Philadelphia, Pa
Yards: 2735/2070 - 4805
Par: 34/32 - 66
Rating: 63.2, Slope: 106
Score: 45 (Front Nine)
Date: November 2, 2008

Under gray fall skies and cool temperatures, I decided to play nine holes at Juniata Golf Club. With everyone still basking in the afterglow of the Phillies win in the World Series this week, and the Philadelphia Eagles looking to pick up ground in Seattle, the course was fairly empty on this beautiful fall afternoon. I teamed up with Kim, an older Asian gentleman on the first tee. We had an enjoyable round that took less than two hours to complete. It has been over two weeks since I last played and while most of my game was okay, my short game was a bit rusty. I managed to get around the front nine in 45, with a birdie and two pars. My putting was very good today. I made a change in my putting stance playing on the lightning fast greens at Talamore Country Club where I stand with my feet together and shoulders more open and facing the hole. This is similar to Fuzzy Zoeller's stance and I believe it allows me to rock my shoulders better for a more pendulum swing. I stuck with it today and was pleased with how I putted. I knocked in an uphill, 20-foot birdie putt at the 360-yard, Par 4 5th Hole and lipped out several other long putts.

Juniata Golf Club Scorecard

The main reason for my round was to test out the new Wilson Staff Spine Driver I recently purchased from Rockbottomgolf.com. The Spine has a square shaped clubhead, and has a hollowed out crown, ala the Cleveland Hi-Bore Driver. This allows for more perimeter weighting and one of the highest MOI's (moment of inertia) in the game. According to Wilson's Website:

"The Spine achieves high MOI and low CG by redistributing weight from the center of the crown to the perimeter. The result is the industry's first truly perimeter weighted driver with a higher MOI and lower CG than traditional 460cc drivers."

The Spine comes with a 46-inch UST Proforce V-2 HMOI graphite shaft. Without the benefit of first taking it to the practice range, I used the new driver on six Par 4s during my nine holes today. The club felt solid and with an easy swing, delivered great power and accuracy. I hit three drives that put in position to go at the green with short irons on my second shots. The three drives where I wound up in a more difficult position for my second shot, twice I came over the ball hitting a sharp hook and once I hit a fade because I was standing a bit too far from the ball. The club makes more of a dull "thunk" than the high "ping" you hear from most of today's 460cc titanium drivers, but it delivers outstanding results. I was quite pleased and look forward to experimenting more with it through the fall.

The new Philadelphia Police Memorial
at Juniata Golf Club


Juniata continues to transform itself into a really nice course. The 12th Hole, which used to play as a downhill, 300-yard Par 4 and been remade into a 190-yard Par 3 and a sand trap has been added to the left front of the green (look for pictures in a future post). Also very nice memorial honoring Philadelphia Police officers who have given their lives in the line of duty has been created in a circle that has the 9th tee to the left, the 17th tee to the right and the 8th green behind. The memorial, which was created by the Juniata Golf Foundation, was dedicated on October 27.

The Memorial honors Philadelphia Police officers

The Memorial's Plaque
Photos by The Muni Golfer

No comments: