Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Juniata's Fall Flavor

Juniata Golf Club
Philadelphia, Pa
Yards: 2735/2070 - 4805
Par: 34/32 - 66
Rating: 63.2, Slope: 106
Score: 47 (Front Nine)
Date: November 9, 2008

On a brisk, breezy fall Sunday afternoon, I played another nine-hole round at Juniata Golf Club. As I wrote in my previous post, I like playing in the fall, when the temperatures are cooler and the multi-hued leaves cover the fairways and greens. The course was again fairly empty as I teed off with Sam, another older Asian gentleman I met on the first tee. Sam and I managed to play around the front nine in one hour and forty-five minutes.

Juniata Golf Club Scorecard

One of my main goals during the round was to continue evaluating my new Wilson Staff Spine Driver I recently put in my bag. I used it on five holes Sunday and hit 3 fairways. Through the last 18 holes, I have used the driver on 11 holes and hit six fairways, better than 50 percent. So far, I have found that with a slow, smooth swing, it hits the ball long and fairly straight. I am interested in seeing how the driver performs with a softer golf ball like the new Wilson Zip. I'm hoping to pick up a box of these balls in the very near future. I am also liking my Sun Mountain Swift X carry bag more and more with each round I use it. It is so light, yet carries almost the same amount of clubs and accessories I had in my previous bag. Fatigue of my shoulders, back and legs from carrying my golf bag is no longer an issue when I hit the home stretch of holes.

Wilson Staff Spine Driver

Other than continuing to test my new driver, there was very little to distinguish my round. The conditions were pretty soft because of all the rain we had late last week and the fairways have become a little spotty due to the weather getting colder. This caused me to hit a couple of worm burners with my approach shots. The tees have also been moved all the way up in order to allow for seeding of the tee boxes.

Sun Mountain Swift X Carry Bag

Even though the weather is getting colder, the reshaping of Juniata Golf Course goes on. New paved cart paths are being added at strategic locations around the course and some paving and landscaping has also been done around the bridge over the Tookany Creek between the 9th and 17th tees. I'm certain that if course architect Ed Ault were alive today, he would be pleased with the changes taking place to his creation.


Photos by The Muni Golfer

No comments: