Sunday, September 30, 2012

Divine Nine/Nightmare Nine

The Fairways Golf & Country Club
Warrington, Pa
Yards: 2255/2248 - 4503
Par: 32/33 - 65
Rating: 62.1, Slope: 104
Score: 38/55 = 93
Date: September 23, 2012

Stop me if you've heard this one before. During my latest round at The Fairways Golf and Country Club, I shot a really, really good front nine and a really, really bad back nine. It has been the common thread throughout my golf season in 2012. I will shoot a very good or respectable score on the front nine, only to struggle and shoot a higher score--sometimes much higher--score on the back nine. Traditionally, in past seasons, when I have managed to shoot a decent front nine--somewhere in the mid-40s--or even not so good front nine, I have more often than not found a way to turn it into a good or at least decent round on the back nine. Now is it almost the opposite; more often than not, I am finding ways to turn what has the potential to be really great round into a good or fair round. Sometimes I even manage to make it into an unacceptable round.

Sunday's round at The Fairways fall in to the latter category. I opened with my best drive of the year and had a mere pitching wedge for my approach, but I hit it thin and into the water that front the green. A drop, a wedge into the right hand bunker and two putts meant and opening triple bogey. But oh how that changed. I parred the next three holes. Then I made a double bogey at the Fifth Hole, followed by a bogey at the Sixth. Then another par. At the Eight, the number one ranked hole on the course, I again split the fairway. From about 150 yards, I hit a 7-iron to three feet and made birdie. A three-putt and the Ninth left me with an opening 38. Despite two bogeys, a double bogey and a triple bogey, I had set myself up to potentially shoot a round in the 70s or the low 80s at worst.

The back nine started out on the right track, despite a tee shot pushed to the right. I chipped out of trouble, hit a wedge onto the green and lipped a putt for a bogey. Then the Eleventh Hole got me again. I tee shot pulled left behind a tree. I punched a hybrid down the fairway and was in great shape until a poor pitch left me short of the green, followed by a poor chip, followed by a three-putt and a triple bogey. OK, I made triple at the First and still shot 38, no problem. Moving to the Twelfth, a short par 3, I'll get it back. A hooked 8-iron short left, a skulled pitch over the green, a short chip on, a very miss-read put followed by three more putts--another 7. What am I doing? A topped drive at the Thirteenth lead to a double bogey. OK, two short par 3s coming up, I can get this back. No I can't; bogey's at each. Now, swing thoughts--the kiss of death. Eight, seven, seven finished off a back nine 55. Another potentially great round thrown away over the final nine holes. Usually, it is just a hole or two on the back nine that torpedoes me...Sunday it was six.

My next round will again be at The Fairways on Ryder Cup Sunday. Like the USA team, I will be looking for redemption.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

simply stopping by to say hello

Anonymous said...

[p]What to Wear With Ugg Boots ?

The question of what to wear with ugg boots is a simple one to answer . There are various kinds of detachable shoeboxes, which can all be used [url=http://tiffanycharms.webstarts.com]tiffany sale[/url] easily . don隆炉t think twice, this is a good Nike Shox [url=http://tiffanycharms.webstarts.com]cheap tiffany charms[/url] shoes that you should consider . [url=http://tiffanycharms.webstarts.com]tiffany charms sale[/url] classiccardyuggs . All boots within our own traditional Bailey choice have a gentle ugg highkoo foam insole protected with genuine sheepskin and use a molded EVA gentle and versatile outsole generated for exceptional comfort with each and every and every step . t's getting colder and colder now . Ugg Boots are just not made in China, so don't be fooled.[/p]

Anonymous said...

ルイヴィトン 財布 コピー
http://ron.joinet.ro/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=61531
http://clubwebdesigner.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=125544
http://griyabukitjaya.org/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=198228
http://etveonar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=23955
http://maschbau-forum.de/kaws1112/index.php?topic=16870.new#new
http://i-persona.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=423358#p423358
http://lswholesalenotes.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=271857
http://teachers-list.net/viewtopic.php?pid=99509#p99509
http://www.cntphcm6.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1081201
http://www.0746yj.cn/bbs/viewtopic.php?pid=238776#p238776

Unknown said...

This is a great article. I noticed the rain has effect play on this course and I hate it when that happens. Some courses throughout the country experiences a lot of rain and it takes away from the quality of the course. The courses in Las Vegas are some of the best in the country because the weather is so nice. The greens are in perfect shape. There are many great playing options through Las Vegas Golf Packages for all those golf lovers.

Unknown said...

ninest123 16.03
cheap oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton, louis vuitton outlet, prada outlet, ray ban sunglasses, christian louboutin outlet, gucci outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, longchamp, louis vuitton outlet, oakley sunglasses, tory burch outlet, longchamp outlet, uggs on sale, louis vuitton, louis vuitton, oakley sunglasses, michael kors, oakley sunglasses, louboutin, tiffany and co, nike outlet, burberry outlet online, oakley sunglasses, nike air max, ugg boots, michael kors outlet, prada handbags, polo ralph lauren outlet, longchamp outlet, louboutin shoes, ugg boots, louboutin outlet, michael kors outlet, tiffany jewelry, michael kors outlet, replica watches, michael kors outlet, chanel handbags, replica watches, ray ban sunglasses, ugg boots, michael kors outlet, burberry, ray ban sunglasses, nike air max, jordan shoes, ugg boots, nike free

Unknown said...

pandora jewelry, hollister, wedding dresses, moncler, converse outlet, canada goose, montre pas cher, doudoune canada goose, replica watches, moncler, moncler outlet, karen millen, pandora jewelry, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, supra shoes, canada goose outlet, swarovski crystal, canada goose outlet, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, barbour, canada goose, moncler, moncler, barbour jackets, louis vuitton, coach outlet, gucci, thomas sabo, ray ban, toms shoes, juicy couture outlet, moncler, ugg pas cher, links of london, bottes ugg, ugg boots uk, canada goose, pandora charms, canada goose uk, swarovski, marc jacobs, moncler, louis vuitton, juicy couture outlet, louis vuitton, canada goose, pandora charms, moncler, lancel, sac louis vuitton pas cher, louis vuitton
ninest123 16.03