Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Rain Doesn't Dampen This Bad Round

Cobbs Creek Golf Club
Olde Course
Philadelphia, Pa
Yards: 2498/3258 - 5736
Par: 35/36 - 71
Rating: 67.6, Slope: 116
Score: 53/57 = 110
Date: October 5, 2010

It was rainy, wet and chilly yesterday as I teed off for a rare mid-week round of  golf on the Olde Course at Cobbs Creek, the gem of Philadelphia's public courses. The course was designed by Hugh Wilson, who also designed the famed East Course at Merion. My partners and I were scheduled to play at Paxon Hollow Country Club in Marple Township, but the course was closed due the continuing inclement weather. So we headed over to Cobbs Creek, where we had no difficulty teeing it up.

My Scorecard from Cobbs Creek

Wearing my wet weather gear, including a FootJoy bucket rain hat that I picked up at Dicks Sporting Goods on my way to the course, we set out against the elements and the course. The greens at Cobbs Creek were in excellent condition, but the tee boxes and fairways showed signs of the extreme heat that has plaqued the Delaware Valley this summer. Due to the rain, conditions were sloppy at best and I hit a lot of fat shots. I also played poorly off the tee, often putting myself into punch out or hit it back into the fairway mode. Not the best way to post a good score. The only thing that really saved me on the front nine was that I played the three Par 3s in only two over par.  On the back nine, I parred the short Tenth Hole, but did little from there, including a 9 at the very long 589-yard Par 5 Fourteenth followed by an 8 at the uphill Par 4 Fiftheenth Hole.

On a very wet tee

Bunkers were also water hazards

The rain gear made it difficult to swing comfortably and the bucket hat made me sweat so bad my eyes were stinging several times from the perspiration running down my forehead. But, still, I was playing golf. I laugh when people won't play in a steady drizzle. A lot of golfers spend thousands of dollars for golf trips to Scotland and Ireland. Well, yesterday's conditions would be called a sunny day across the pond. I'll just chalk the score up to the weather and concentrate on getting my next round back to where my game was a few weeks ago.

Rain clouds hung over the wet course
Photos by The Muni Golfer

9 comments:

Into The Rough said...

This blog is great - why doesn't it have more love? Would love to do something like this for my side of the pond

The Muni Golfer said...

Thanks Into the Rough, I'm glad you're enjoying the blog. Maybe you can help spread the word about it a bit more...and I hope you'll keep reading.

Anonymous said...

found your site on del.icio.us today and really liked it.. i bookmarked it and will be back to check it out some more later

Anonymous said...

Do you people have a facebook fan page? I looked for one on twitter but could not discover one, I would really like to become a fan!

Anonymous said...

Finally, an issue that I am passionate about. I have looked for information of this caliber for the last several hours. Your site is greatly appreciated.

caiyan said...

rolex watches
yeezy boost 350
rolex watches uk
michael kors outlet store
converse shoes
ugg boots
canada goose outlet
coach factory outlet
coach factory outlet
abercrombie kids
20161026caiyan

Unknown said...

salomon boots
polo ralph lauren
hugo boss sale
supra shoes
new york jets jerseys
pittsburgh steelers jersey
falcons jersey
tiffany jewelry
north face
pandora jewellery

Unknown said...

gucci outlet
ray ban sunglasses
louis vuitton outlet online
ysl outlet online
lacoste polo shirts
michael kors outlet clearance
michael kors handbags
christian louboutin
michael kors outlet online
mulberry sale
qqqqqing20170427

Unknown said...

moncler uk
cheap jordan shoes
coach outlet online
polo ralph lauren outlet
mulberry outlet uk
toms outlet store
pandora charms
fit flops
fit flops
christian louboutin pas cher
170508yueqin