Thursday, May 13, 2010

Weathering My First Full Round of the Season

Juniata Golf Club
Philadelphia, Pa
Yards: 2805/2185 - 4990
Par: 34/31 - 65
Rating: 63.2, Slope: 106
Score: 95
Date: May 9, 2010

On an usually cool and very windy Sunday in early May, I ventured out for my first full round of the 2010 season.  Since I have not been able to get to the Driving Range and have done virtually no practicing since early April, I wasn't sure what to expect out of my game.  I had played well in spurts over my first nine holes of the season the previous week, but I wasn't sure if that was just early season luck or what.  I tried to downplay my expectations, but at the same time, I was hoping to build on the five good holes from the previous outing.  I was fortunate to run into a colleague from work on the second hole and we played together through nine holes, which made the front side more enjoyable to play.

 My Scorecard

The strong winds made club selection, as well as shot selection a bit difficult, especially with only nine previous holes played under my belt.  I tried to play for the hard hooks I was hitting last time out with my irons, but that wasn't as much of a problem this time and I probably over-compensated for that swing flaw causing me to hit a few shots dead right.

 The wind had flagsticks bending on the greens

I hit the ball a little better off the tee and with my approach shots, even if they were often affected by the wind.  Where my game, and my scoring, really let me down this week was in the area you would probably most expect it this time of year--the short game.  The lack of touch or feel on my chips and pitches caused me to waste shots, often adding at least a stroke or two to most of the holes I played.  And my putting, while not bad, didn't feel as confident as it had the previous week.  I did make two pars, but I let too many opportuntites go to waste.  This will only be corrected by more playing and practicing, something I feel won't be happening on a consistent basis until the middle of the summer.

The new tee box at the Twelfth Hole
Construction of the new Sixteenth Tee

I am happy with the continuing improvement of Juniata Golf Club.  More cart paths have been added and barriers have been put up along the cart paths around the tee boxes.  The new tee box at the 12th Hole is open and construction looks like it is continuing on the new elevated tee box for the 16th Hole.  And a new, fitting memorial to those who have served in our Armed Forces (below) has been erected outside the ever improving clubhouse.

Photos by The Muni Golfer