Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Playing Like a Fox at Juniata

Juniata Golf Club
Philadelphia, Pa
Yards: 2805/2185 - 4990
Par: 34/31 - 65
Rating: 63.2, Slope: 106
Score: 43/43 = 86
Date: October 25, 2009

A break from the rain last Sunday allowed me to get in a round at Juniata Golf Club. It was a beautiful fall day, with sunny skies and temps in the low 60s. For so late in the season the course is in terrific shape. I made one change to my bag since my last round at Island Green two weeks earlier, replacing my Tommy Armour 845 Stripe Driver with a TaylorMade 360XD. Because of a small outing I had to begin my round on the back nine. At the 10th Tee, I paired up with Sam, an older Asian gentleman whom I have played with in the past at Juniata. Sam is a friendly sort and I have enjoyed my past experiences playing with him, so I felt good about my pairing.

Juniata Golf Club Scorecard

I played steady on my first nine. Nothing spectacular, but I was going along nicely. I was the ball solidly, except for my driver. I was playing mostly bogey golf through the first seven holes, but I lost my driver on my eight hole (the Par 4 Seventeenth) and was forced to take a drop on the other side of the Tookany/Frankford Creek. This led to a triple-bogey seven and after three-putting the Eighteenth Green (my ninth hole) after getting out of the wet sand in the bunker to the left of the green, I had a 43 on the easier of the two nines.

The Fourth Hole, a 390-yard Par 4

I went to the First Hole to play my back nine and felt if I could continue to play steady, I could post a decent score. I parred the First Hole (my tenth) and continued playing bogey golf through the next four holes. I still wasn't hitting the driver the way I would have liked and that finally caught up with me at the Sixth Hole (my fifteenth). After hitting a low short duck hook that forced me to chip out, I chunked my third shot, but still managed to get on the green with my fourht shot. A three-putt left me with a seven. I went to the next tee detremined NOT to let that hole carry over to the next few holes and spoil my round. This was accomplished when I striped my hybrid down the middle of the Seventh Fairway. Although I bogeyed the hole, I made a nice par at the Eighth (my seventeenth). I decided to hit three wood off the tee at my last hole and made a bogey five for another 43 and a total of 86 for my round.

The Fifth Hole, a 370-yard Par 4

Although I didn't hit my driver particularly well--I'm probably going back to my TaylorMade Tour Burner--I was pretty happy in the way I played overall. I had par putts on 12 of the 18 holes during my round, and even though I only made three pars, you can't ask for much more than that. As I had hoped after playing some really bad golf in Delaware during Labor Day, I have found some consistency during the fall. There is still plenty of golf to be played before the season is over and I hope to continue to build upon this steadiness and carry it forward into 2010.

Juniata's resident red fox

One little side note on my round Sunday. On the Eleventh Fairway, a red fox that has taken residence on the course made an appearance before running back into the woods. This is the second time this year, on two different courses in two different locations, that I have spotted a red fox while playing. The other time was July 3rd at Green Pond in Bethlehem, Pa.

The fox makes his escape into the woods
Photos by The Muni Golfer

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is my favorite time to play at Juniata. I'm done golfing though due to surgery on my right hand. Thanks for the pics.
Fred

The Muni Golfer said...

Fred, hope your surgery went OK and you will be hitting them long and straight soon!

Unknown said...

The season's biggest hits can all be found in the Christian Louboutin Sale and they are the kind of shoes that say - the die for shoes. Christian Louboutin Pumps that is in vogue all the time and never ever goes out of the season. The kind Christian Louboutin Boots will last you for infinity and ever, almost like eternal love! You will find photographers queuing up at your doorstep in reality or in day dreams but that is okay. Day dreams can be turned into reality with Christian Louboutin Sandals , attire and attitude.


Ed Hardy Clothes unmistakable style and passion will draw you in whether you are seeking it out or not. Whatever the reason, hardy shirt is a brand that the world just can't seem to get enough of. hardy shirt , the "godfather of the modern tattoo", took his California influence and combined it with Asian inspirations to come up with the unique style that defines the hardy shirts clothing line. Hardy began his career as a tattoo artist in San Francisco, and later decided to merge his artwork into fashion design. The rest is history.


Even though the scarpe Hogan is lightweight and flexible, comfort was in no way compromised. hogan donna made sure to include ample cushioning. The collar and the tongue of Hogan scarpe uomo are heavily padded which lends to a very cozy feel while on the foot. This Hogan uomo in the collar provides crucial protection and support to assist in avoiding injury.

Anonymous said...

[p]This is how all of the insurers which are dedicated to sacrificed billfold offerings [url=http://www.ralphlaurenoutletonlinee.co.uk]polo ralph lauren outlet[/url] have for you the performance you'll want to padlock your personal financial records affordable supply which secure feeling that you're not necessarily exposed to personal identity thieves . The internet has made people very lazy and no one wants to use the conventional [url=http://www.ppoloralphlauren.co.uk]ralph lauren polo shirts[/url] methods of shopping any more . Since Ralph Lauren's first brand, Polo, was launched in 1967, the company has expanded to include [url=http://www.ralphlaurenoutletonlinee.co.uk]ralph lauren outlet[/url] a variety of luxury brands . These shirts are extremely friendly when it comes to sports activities as the material they are made from is knit that gives you a [url=http://www.ppoloralphlauren.co.uk]cheap ralph lauren polo[/url] relieving feel . The Hoodie Ralph Lauren is an actual [url=http://www.ppoloralphlauren.co.uk]discount ralph lauren polo shirts[/url] advantageous account of clothing and it is hopefully afraid off its bad boy reputation . The Ralph Lauren design team takes pride in [url=http://www.ralphlaurenoutletonlinee.co.uk]ralph lauren outlet uk[/url] in their outfits . They are welcomed [url=http://www.ralphlaurenoutletonlinee.co.uk]cheap ralph lauren polo shirts
[/url] for golf or just dressing up for a party . Due to the fashionable characteristic of the polo shirt, with many big brand companies renowned for their production of Polo Shirts such as Ralph Lauren and Lacoste, people will not be scared to wear their polo shirts in public, even if it has company advertising on it, which is always a bonus for the company as mentioned [url=http://www.ppoloralphlauren.co.uk]polo ralph lauren outlet online
[/url] previously that being able to get the company's name out is vital to a Company's expansion.[/p]