Saturday, October 20, 2007

Fast Greens But Slow Play at Bensalem C.C.

Bensalem Township Country Club
Bensalem, Pa
Yards: 5808, Par: 70
Rating: 66.6, Slope 114
Score: 47/53 = 100
Date: October 20, 2007

The unseasonably warm October temperatures is making for great golfing conditions and today I found myself at Bensalem Township Country Club. I had tried two other courses, but tournaments drove me to play a round at Bensalem, a course I have played twice before. The course had previously been privately owned, but Bensalem Township recently purchased the facility. And what a great job the Township has done. The course in as good a shape, or even better, than most of the courses I have played this year. The fairways were superb; the rough thick, but not penal; and the greens were smooth, true and lightning fast. And at 2 p.m., it only cost me $25 to walk 18 holes. Besides the fast greens--I can't count how many 3-putts I had--the only problem I incurred was very slow play. We had to wait on the tee on almost every hole during the round. This meant we finished in almost total darkness as we played the 18th hole. Gusty winds were also a factor during the round, but was easier to endure than the slow play. Perhaps it was just the unusually warm weather bringing out more golfers than you would find this time of year, but I have always heard that slow play is a hallmark of Bensalem. But I definitely look forward to going back to Bensalem, and if the weather continues to cooperate, I'm certain I will find myself teeing it up there in the not too distant future.